Bama boy talks music in Augusta


Bama boy talks music in Augusta

AUGUSTA, GA - You may remember me from the radio. I was the voice on Augusta airwaves for years, telling people exactly what I thought. No holds barred.

But, for those of you who may not know me, I’m just a guy from Alabama who now calls the CSRA home. A guy who just happens to be in the music business.

Some background on me... I was born in South Carolina to a Marine who moved us across the country. At an early age, my family made our home in Tuscumbia, Ala., just outside of Muscle Shoals, Ala. (Yes, it’s part of the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, “Sweet Home Alabama”).

I grew up with music all around me. After all, Muscle Shoals is known as the “Hit Recording Capital of the World.”

This small town in northwest Alabama is famous for recording many hit songs by music legends such as Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Willie Nelson at FAME Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio from the 1960s up until today.

People referred to it as the “Muscle Shoals Sound.”

Growing up, my dad loved Elvis, Conway Twitty, Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline and the other Grand Ole Opry stars. He would always have music playing in the house. He was the one who introduced me to music. Still today, the one day that will always get to me is Sept. 8. It is my son’s birthday and the day that my father passed away.

My first concert was Night Ranger with The Outfield. At 15, I was a huge Outfield fan and won tickets from a local radio station to the show in Huntsville. My best friend, Jason, and I went to the show. I was immediately hooked. I knew I wanted a career in music.

Dakota Quick Hits… My first album was KISS’ “Destroyer,” first 45 single was Charlie Daniels’ “Devil Went Down To Georgia,” first cassette was Rick Springfield’s “Living In Oz,” first CD was Genesis’ “Invisible Touch” and the first song I recorded off the radio onto an 8-track was Billy Joel’s “It’s Still Rock ‘n’ Roll to Me.”

So, who is Dakota West? I’m what you would call a “special-ed student” who dropped out of college, but now has a job that I love.

After 18 years of radio and learning from some of the best, including Nikki Nite in Dallas, Cat Thomas in Jacksonville, Fla., and Tee Gentry here in the CSRA, I was asked in 2006 to become the promotions and entertainment manager for a new business in Augusta called The Country Club Dance Hall and Saloon.

Now, after being open for four years, we have brought some great acts to Augusta including Joe Diffie, Gretchen Wilson, The Bellamy Brothers, David Allan Coe, Jamey Johnson and Luke Bryan. I’ve also had the opportunity to help promote several other shows including Lady Antebellum, Static X and Theory Of A Deadman.

Willie Nelson Tickets are available in the market on very competitive prices by Sold Out Ticket Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment